Overview and updates
RestApiNEx/ApiNCoreEx is Visual Studio extension for building .NET(5+) and .NET Core REST API services.
Generate 100s lines of code on a single click and save hours of searching Web and testing for the right REST API solution.
A great start for creating REST API service based on latest .NET(5+) and .NET Core.
- Three layers: Api, Domain and Entity
- DI (.NET Core feature)
- Generic Service and Repository with Entity Framework ORM
- Sync and Async calls
- Generic exception handler
- Serilog logging with Console and File sinks
- EF migration and seed from json objects
- JWT authorization and authentication
- API versioning
Full version extra features:
- T4 templates for code generation/scaffolding for Domain, Service, Controller, Unit Tests and Postman tests when added new entity classes (inherits from BaseEntity).
- Option between JWT or IdentityServer4 authorization/authentication with an OpenID Connect and OAuth 2.0 framework for ASP.NET Core.
- XUnit integration tests (http client) run for both authentication types: JWT or IS4 (only change appsettings).
- Postman API tests script generated(JWT and IS4) for import as json file
- Swagger and Swashbuckle IDL with ASP.NET Core to document/visualize/test generated REST API
- EF stored procedure example
Download full version of this extension and save many hours searching for the right API REST solution!
Updates .NET Core:
- Version 3.0 (.NET Core 2.2)
- Version 3.1 (added Swagger authentication)
- Version 3.2 (fix POST/PUT use; update unittests)
- Version 3.3 (added time saving T4 template code generation for domain. service, controller and tests classes)
- Version 3.4 (fix T4 template for code generation of tests classes)
- Version 3.5 (db lazy loading)
- Version 3.6 (Update unittests, add load test,add test appsettings for remote database and update Repository Update method)
- Version 3.7 (DB concurrency for update, unittests refactored and updated)
- Version 3.8 (Add predicate search examples service call)
- Version 3.9 (Update/fix T4 template code)
- Version 4.0 (Added CodeGeneratorUtility.bat to execute all T4s and updated Domain classes T4 script)
- Version 4.1 (.NET Core 3.0 - Initial)
- Version 4.2 (API versioning)
- Version 4.3 (Added CodeGeneratorUtility.bat to execute all T4s and updated Domain classes T4 script)
- Version 4.4 (Update to .NET Core 3.1 - LTS version )
- Version 4.5 (Automapper v.9.0 with DI)
- Version 4.6 (updated T4 templates for DI services and tests code generation)
- Version 4.7 (updated to Swashbuckle.AspNetCore Version=5.0.0)
- Version 4.8 (added an example of using stored procedures)
- Version 4.9 (fixed the issue with using a dot in a solution name)
- Version 5.1 (fixed the naming issues, updated solution's packages to the latest versions,IdentityServer4 updates)
- Version 5.2 (added Powershell script to run Postman tests with Newman creating htlm reports and sending an email with attached reports)
- Version 5.3 (added db migration to T4 automation)
- Version 5.4 (added T4 automation to generate Postman tests for added entity)
- NEXT (authenticate with Azure B2C, AWS Identity)
Updates .NET 5.x:
NOTE: Visual Studio 2019 (v.16.8+) required
- Version 5.0 (.NET 5.0 - Initial) with updated packages for .NET 5.0
- Version 5.1 (added db migration to T4 automation)
- Version 5.2 (added T4 automation to generate Postman tests for added entity)
- NEXT (optimize C# code for .NET 5.0)
and install full featured extension (VSIX).
2. Open Visual Studio and select new RestApiNE(x)/ApiNCoreE(x) (with ER ORM) solution template from Visual C# templates section.
3. After the solution is built and depencies automatically resolved - update DB connection in API and Test project (appseting.json file)
4. Run API project to start up REST API and get the info page.
5. The service info/startup page has infromation about REST API service and the link to Swagger documentation/test page.
6. Run all unit tests in Test project.
7. The third way to test generated REST API service is either to import generated Postman json tests file to Runner or run PowerShell/Newman script to execute tests and generate/email html report tests results.
Extending the service (T4 code generation/scaffolding) with added entity classes:
8. Create new entity classes (must inherit from BaseEntity) in Entity project, Entity folder.
9. To execute all T4 templates right-click on CodeGeneratorUtility.bat
file(Entity project) and OpenWith command using PowerShell (may need to -Add...- PowerShell program).
10. For added entity clases all supporting code (domain, services, API, Tests, db migration code) will be generated and new Postman json file with added tests.
11. Run API project to start up REST API and get info page. The same time db migration will be executed/deployed to the database.
12. Run all unit tests in Test project.
13. Run PowerShell/Newman script in Test/Postman to execute tests and generate/email html report tests results.
How to use IndentityServer4 as authentication service:
In order to use IndentityServer4 as authentication service for the API update the configuration file (appsettings.json) in API/Test project with this setting:
14. Run IdentityServer by righ-click IdentityServer project and "View/View in Browser" and wait for IS4 startup pages.
15. Run all unit tests in Test project.
16. Run REST API service by righ-click API project and "View/View in Browser" and wait for REST API startup pages.
17. In Test/Postman update config.txt by replacing JWT with IS4 (so only IS4 tests would run).
18. Run PowerShell/Newman script in Test/Postman to execute tests and generate/email html report tests results.
19. Go for a sleep, run, walk or...
Swagger API tests:
Note that Swagger UI works in the latest versions of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge.(not IE)
Set and save in configuration file (appsettings.json) in API project this setting to use JWT authentication:
Run API service and click Swagger API specification button.
Find Token service (JWT), use Try it out button and enter these values (exists in test project code and match values in User table)):
Execute Token service and copy returned token value: eyJhbGc...
Click Authorize button on the top of the Swagger page and add value
Bearer eyJhbGc.... Click Authorize button.
All service calls are now authorized and can be tested.
Postman tests with Newman :
Generated solution contains adjusted Postman tests as json file (in Test project) ready for import and run in Postman application.
The same folder has PowerShell script and instructions how to execute Postman tests json from command line using Newman Node.js extension.
With the script generated htlm tests reports can be opened or emailed.
Download full version of VSIX
Download full-featured VSIX extensions for Visual Studio
(with time-saving T4 code generation; with XUnit project integration tests and Postman tests)
Get RestApiNEx(.NET 5.x) and ApiNCoreEx.vsix (.NET Core 3.1/2.2) extensions with these features :
Api, Domain, Entity and Test project
DI (.NET Core feature)
Generic Service and Repository with Entity Framework ORM
Sync and Async calls
Generic exception handler
Serilog logging with Console and File sinks
EF migration and seed from json objects
JWT authorization and authentication option
Optional authentication with IdentityServer4 with an OpenID Connect and OAuth 2.0 framework for ASP.NET Core.
Swagger and Swashbuckle with ASP.NET Core
XUnit integration tests (http client) run for both authentication types: JWT or IS4
Postman API tests (JWT and IS4) for import as json file and PowerShell script for Newman tool to generate tests html report
T4 templates for code generation/scaffolding for Domain, Service, Controller, UnitTests, db migration script and Postman tests
EF stored procedure option
Get 3 extensions for only $33 CAD and save many hours to start with fully functional .NET Core REST API with all layers code scaffolding driven by added entity classes.
Your time is priceless!
Get 6 extensions for only $44 CAD and save many hours to start with fully functional .NET Core REST API.
More information about REST API with Dapper ORM and FluentMigrator here.
Please use Paypal "Return to merchant" link after your payment in order to get VSIXs download page.
If you have problems to download purchased VSIXs please contact us at email@example.com and we will send you the download link.
Note that no support is available for generated code with these VSIX extensions; however please let us know about suggestions, issues or improvements regarding solutions generated by the VS extensions.
We guarantee access to all updates of the product up to 6 months after the date of the purchase.
Extensions' icons thanks to cjdowner.
Note that there is no restriction to use, copy, modify, and distribute software created with this Visual Studio extension template. The extension resell is forbidden! Created solution using this template may contain code with unintentional flaws or limitations. Please adjust created solution to your needs and test it before any production use. IN NO EVENT SHALL OWNER OF THIS EXTENSION BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOST PROFITS, ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE AND ITS DOCUMENTATION, EVEN IF THE OWNER HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.